Part I Listening Comprehension (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your listening ability. It consists of 3
Directions: This section is to test your ability to understand short
dialogues. There are 5 recorded dialogues in it. After each dialogue, there is a
recorded question. Both the dialogues and questions will be spoken only once.
When you hear a question, you should decide on the correct answer from the 4
choices marked A), B), C) and D) given in your test paper. Then you should mark
the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the
Example: You will hear:
You will read: A) New York City.
B) An evening party.
C) An air trip.
D) The man’s job.
From the dialogue we learn that the man is to take a flight to New York.
Therefore, C) An air trip is the correct answer. You should mark C) on the
Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
[A] [B] [C] [D]
Now the test will begin.
1. A) A teacher.
B) A doctor.
C) A secretary.
D) A salesman.
2. A) Visiting a company.
B) Meeting with the new manager.
C) Looking for the meeting room.
D) Showing a newcomer around.
3. A) In an office.
C) In a department store.
B) In a restaurant.
D) In a library.
4. A) To attend a conference.
B) To work in a firm.
C) To do some sightseeing.
D) To visit an exhibition.
5. A) The rise of costs.
B) The drop of sales.
C) The decrease of production.
D) The increase of pollution.
Directions: This section is to test your ability to understand short
conversations. There are 2 recorded conversations in it. After each
conversation, there are some recorded questions. Both the conversations and
questions will be spoken two times. When you hear a question, you should decide
on the correct answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D) given in your
test paper. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet
with a single line through the center.
6. A) All staff.
B) Young workers.
C) New employees.
D) Department mananger.
7. A) 1 week.
B) 2 weeks.
C) 3 weeks.
D) 4 weeks.
8. A) How to operate machines.
B) How to use computers.
C) How to collect information.
D) How to be a manager.
9. A) Because there was no access to the Internet.
B) Because the traffic outside was too noisy.
C) Because the air conditioner was out of order.
D) Because there was no hot water in the bath.
10. A) Room 201.
B) Room 203.
C) Room 204.
D) Room 206.
Directions: This section is to test your ability to comprehend short
passages. You will hear a recorded passage. After that you will hear five
questions. Both the passage and the questions will be read two times. When you
hear a question, you should complete the answer to it with a word or a short
phrase (in no more than 3 words). The questions and incomplete answers are
printed in your test paper. You should write your answers on the Answer Sheet
correspondingly. Now listen to the passage.
11. What’s Peter Johnson’s position in the company?
He is the ___________________________________________ Manager.
12. What places will the visitors see in the company?
____________________________________________ and the laboratory.
13. How long does it take to look around the laboratory?
About ______________________________________________ minutes.
14. What measures are taken to ensure the visitors’ safety?
The visitors are required to wear protective hard hats and
15. What is not allowed to do during the tour?
11. Production 12. The factory 13. 10 / ten 14. safety glasses 15.
Part II Structure (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to construct grammatically
correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: In this section, there are 10 incomplete sentences. You are
required to complete each one by deciding on the most appropriate word or words
from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then you should mark the
corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the
16. We must find a way to cut prices ________ reducing our profits too
17. She didn’t know ________ to express her ideas in English clearly in
18. ________ the weather improves, we will suffer a huge loss in the
19. We are happy at the good news ________ Mr. Black has been awarded the
20. It is important that we ________ the task ahead of time.
A) will fish
D) shall finish
21. Would you please pass me the book ________ cover is black?
22. ________ in the company for three years, Mark has become experienced in
A) Having worked
B) Have been working
C) Have worked
23. Not until she arrived at the meeting room ________ she had forgotten to
bring the document.
A) she realized
B) did she realize
C) she did realize
D) does she realize
24. John had never been abroad before, ________ he found the business trip
25. ________ some students are able to find employment after graduation,
others will have to return to school and earn an advanced degree.
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in
each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or
words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
26. Employees are not allowed (make) ________ personal phone calls in the
27. The shop assistant priced the goods before (put) ________ them on the
28. The purpose of new technology is to make life (easy) ________, not to
make it more difficult.
29. The proposal about the annual sales (discuss) ________ at the next
30. Since we work in different sections of the company, we see each other
only (occasional) ________.
31. Some domestic manufacturers are busy increasing production, losing the
chance to develop more (advance) ________ technology.
32. I shall appreciate your effort in (correct) ________ this error in my
bank account as soon as possible.
33. If your neighbors are too noisy, then you have a good reason to make
your (complain) ________.
34. 30 percent of the students who (interview) ________ yesterday believe
they should continue with their education until they have a university
35. Measures should be taken to avoid the negative effect (bring) ________
about by unfair competition.
26. to make 27. putting 28. easier
29. will be discussed / is to be discussed / should be discussed
30. occasionally 31. advanced 32. correcting
33. complaint 34. were interviewed 35. brought
Part III Reading Comprehension (40 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your reading ability. There are 5 tasks
for you to fulfill. You should read the reading materials carefully and do the
tasks as you are instructed.
Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions
or unfinished statements, numbered 36 to 40. For each question or statement
there are 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should make the correct choice
and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through
Google, the Internet search-engine company, has announced it will give more
than twenty-five million dollars in money and investments to help the poor. The
company says the effort involves using the power of information and technology
to help people improve their lives.
Aleem Walji works for Google.org -- the part of the company that gives
money to good causes. He said the company’s first project will help identify
infectious (传染性的) diseases are developing. In Southeast Asia and Africa,
for example, Google.org will work with partners to strengthen early-warning
systems and take action against growing health threats.
Google.org’s second project will invest in ways to help small and
medium-sized businesses grow. Walji says microfinance (小额信贷) is generally small,
short-term loans that create few jobs. Instead, he says Google.org wants to
develop ways to bring investors and business owners together to create jobs and
improve economic growth.
Google.org will also give money to help two climate-change programs
announced earlier this year. One of these programs studies ways to make
renewable (再生的) energy less costly than coal-based energy. The other is
examining the efforts being made to increase the use of electric cars.
The creators of Google have promised to give Google.org about one percent
of company profits and one percent of its total stock value every year. Aleem
Walji says this amount may increase in the future.
36. The purpose of Google’s investments is to ________.
A) help poor people
B) develop new technology
C) expand its own business
D) increase the power of information
37. According to Aleem Walji, the company’s first project is to
A) set up a new system to warn people of infectious diseases
B) find out where infectious diseases develop
C) identify the causes of infectious diseases
D) cure patients of infectious diseases
38. What kind of businesses will benefit from Google.org’s second
A) large enterprises
B) cross-national companies
C) foreign-funded corporations
D) small and medium-sized businesses
39. From the fourth paragraph, we learn that Google’s money is also
invested to help ________.
A) start more research programs
B) make more advanced electric cars
C) develop renewable and coal-based energy
D) conduct studies related to climate changes
40. From the last paragraph we learn that the investments by Google.org
come from ________.
A) Google’s profits and stock value
B) some international IT companies
C) the company’s own interests
D) local commercial banks
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished
statements are numbered 41 to 45.
Your boss holds your future prospects in his hands. Some bosses are hard to
get along with. Some have excellent qualifications but no idea when it comes to
dealing with people. Of course, not all bosses are like that.
The relationship you have with your boss can be a major factor in
determining your rise up the career ladder. Your boss is not only your leader,
he is also the person best equipped to help you do the job you are paid to do.
He can inform you of company direction that may affect your professional
Your boss also needs you to perform at your best in order to accomplish his
objectives. He needs your feedback in order to provide realistic and useful
reports to upper management. But how does this help you establish a meaningful
working relationship with your boss?
The key is communication. Learn and understand his goals and priorities
(优先的事). Observe and understand your boss’s work style. If he has not been clear
with his expectations, ask! Likewise, ask for feedback and accept criticism
gracefully. And if he understands that you do not view your job as just
something to fill the hours between 9 and 5, he may be more likely to help
In short, getting along with your boss requires getting to know his likes
and dislikes and learning to work with his personality and management style.
41. The main idea of the first paragraph is that ________.
A) bosses are hard to deal with
B) bosses have good character
C) bosses determine your career future
D) bosses must have similar personality
42. In the second paragraph, “rise up the career ladder” (Line 2) means
A) going to work abroad
B) changing jobs frequently
C) being promoted in position
D) pursuing an advanced degree
43. In order to achieve his objectives, your boss expects that you will
A) do your best in your work
B) show your management skills
C) get along with your colleagues
D) write reports to upper management
44. The most important factor for establishing a good working relationship
with the boss is ________.
A) high expectations
B) quick feedback
C) frequent criticism
D) effective communication
45. The best title for the passage might be ________.
A) How to Take Care Of Your Boss.
B) How to Get Along with Your Boss
C) How to Accept Your Boss’s Criticism
D) How to Accomplish Your Boss’s Objective
Directions: The following is an announcement. After reading it, you are
required to complete the outline below it (No.46 to No.50). You should write
your answers briefly (in no more than three words) on the Answer Sheet
We welcome you aboard the Eastern Flight and will do our best to make your
trip comfortable and enjoyable.
For your safety and convenience
To begin the trip, we would like to draw your attention to some
safety-related details. These are also explained on the instruction card in the
seat pocket in front of you. Seat belts must remain fastened while the “Fasten
seatbelts” sign is on. It is advisable to keep them fastened at all times while
seated. All flights are non-smoking. The use of mobile telephones is now allowed
when the airplane is on the ground. During the flight the use of CD and DVD
players is not allowed.
For your entertainment
To help you enjoy your trip, we provide a range of newspapers. On our MD-11
and Boeing aircraft, we provide music and video programs. On Airbus A
321/320/319, short videos are shown.
Meals and drinks
During most flights we serve you a tasty meal and drinks. Beer, wine and
other drinks are served free of charge. Coffee, tea and juice are served free of
charge on all domestic (国内的) flights. On domestic flights leaving before nine
and on all flights to Northern China, a snack is served.
Eastern Flight Service
Safety and convenience
1) Seat belts: remain -46- while the “Fasten seatbelts” sign is on
2) Smoking: not allowed on board
3) Mobile phones: used only when the airplane is -47-
4) CD and DVD: not allowed to play -48-
2) music and -49- on MD-11 and Boeing aircraft
Meals and drinks on board
1) meals served on most flights
2) coffee, tea and juice served free of charge
3) a snack served on all flights to -50-
答案：46. fastened 47. on the ground 48. during the flight
49. video programs 50. Northern China
Directions: The following is a list of terms related to Security. After
reading it, you are required to find the items equivalent to (与…等同) those given
in Chinese in the table below. Then you should put the corresponding letters in
the brackets on the Answer Sheet, numbered 51 through 55.
A ----------------- air traffic control system
B ----------------- armed police
C ----------------- crime prevention
D ----------------- entry requirement
E ----------------- international criminal police organization
F ----------------- level of security
G ----------------- picket line
H ----------------- police station
I ----------------- patrolling vehicle
J ----------------- safety precaution measure
K ----------------- safety control device
L ----------------- security command center
M ----------------- security service
N ----------------- security control center
O ----------------- security personnel
P ----------------- valid documents
Q ----------------- security monitoring and control
Examples: ( M ) 保安服务 ( G ) 警戒线
51. ( ) 空中交通管制系统 ( ) 安全预防措施
52. ( ) 巡逻车 ( ) 武装警察
53. ( ) 国际刑警组织 ( ) 有效证件
54. ( ) 入境要求 ( ) 安保人员
55. ( ) 安全保障级别 ( ) 安全监控
答案：51. A, J 52. I, B 53. E, P 54. D, O 55. F, Q
Directions: The following is a business letter. After reading it, you
should give brief answers to the 5 questions (No.56 to No.60) that follow. The
answers (in no more than 3 words) should be written after the corresponding
numbers on the Answer Sheet.
Dear Mr. Smith,
I am pleased to offer you the position of after-sales manager at our
company starting on 16 June, 2009. I propose that the terms of employment will
be those in the attached draft individual employment agreement.
Please note that you are entitled to discuss this offer and to seek advice
on the attached proposed agreement with your family, a union, a lawyer, or
someone else you trust. If you want some information on your employment rights,
you can also contact the Employment Service Office or visit our website.
Also, if you disagree with, or do not understand or wish to clarify
anything in this offer, please ring me to discuss any issue you wish to
If you are happy with the proposed terms and wish to accept this offer of
employment, please sign the duplicate copy of this letter and return it to me by
1 June, 2009. In the event I have not heard from you by that date, this offer
will be automatically withdrawn on that date.
I look forward to working with you.
56. What job position is offered to Mr. Smith in the letter?
57. From whom may Mr. Smith seek advice about the proposed agreement?
His family, a union, _____________________, or someone else he trusts.
58. How can Mr. Smith get information about employment rights?
By contacting the ___________________________ or visiting its website.
59. When should Mr. Smith return the signed duplicate copy of this
60. What will happen if the duplicate copy of the letter is not returned by
This offer will be ___________________________________ on that date.
答案：56. (The) after-sales manager 57. a lawyer 58. Employment Service
59. 1 June, 2009 60. (automatically) withdrawn